It sounds like a sure fire hit: Two iconic Kiwi food brands joining forces to make a new range of chocolate ice creams.
The Herald Lifestyle team got their hands on the creations, not due in the shops until Monday.
As you might imagine, it was extremely difficult to find volunteers, but seasoned taste tester Storme Hitaua eventually agreed, roping in fellow Flava host Sela Alo.
Herald social media producer Eleanor Barker, of chocolate brownie mayo fame, also stepped up to the plate
Are these fancy new creations wrapped in swirling galactic packaging the best thing since Whittaker’s K Bar? Here’s what our panel had to say.
1. Chocolate, salted caramel, pretzel and 62 per cent cocoa dark chocolate
Initial reactions are a round of satisfied nods and, uttered through a gooey mouthful, a “that is real good”.
Big fans of the chocolate and salted caramel, this was Storme and Sela’s favourite of the three.
2. Coffee, chocolate, cacao nib and 35 per cent cocoa creamy milk chocolate
While this was the least popular among our taste testers, they agreed anyone chasing that coffee ice cream note will be into this one. The coffee flavour is certainly pronounced and on the bitter side, rather than sweet.
3. Vanilla, salted maple, cashew praline and 33 per cent cocoa creamy milk chocolate
Eleanor’s favourite of the three, she deemed it an ice cream with impressive complexities with a pleasing amount of salt.
So if you’re looking for an ice cream for summer that’s without a doubt delicious and also free of nasties such as palm oil, our panel reckon these are your best bet.
Popping up and sticking around
While many collab food products are created for a limited time, this ice cream range is here for good.
But if you’re after a taste as soon as possible, two pop-up stores are giving away thousands of the new ice creams for free.
• Auckland Tip Top Whittaker’s #Happimess Pop-Up: 21A Remuera Rd, Newmarket, Auckland. 22 September from 12pm
• Wellington Tip Top Whittaker’s #Happimess Pop-Up: 142 Lambton Quay, Wellington. 27 September from 12pm